GotTheOrangeJuice redditor gives his advice on staying cool without air conditioning:Readmore...
- As a college student who has lived without AC every year, I did a few things to help keep cool.
- Buy a box fan. You can get them at Walmart for $10. I would buy 2; one would face outwards in one window to suck out the stagnant air, and one would face in to blow in the air.
- Prop open your doors. Opening your windows is not enough. To get air circulation, open your doors in your house to allow for air flow.
- Keep your blinds down or curtains closed. While you window is open, you need to try to keep the sunlight from heating your house. That can be done by keeping the sun out. You can also look into getting curtains designed to block UV light. That would be an expensive initial investment, but would help in the long run.
- Additionally, planting trees where you would want to block the sun in the summer would be another expensive investment, but would be useful for many years to come.
- Check to make sure your house is properly insulated. It keeps the cold air in during the summer as well as the hot air during the winter.
- Get used to wearing only your underwear. Sometimes, it's just hot. Be comfortable just walking around in only your underwear, or nothing at all.